This is based on Roman Apple Cake from the More-with-Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre.
- 1 cup sweetener (I used xylitol)
- 1 1/4 cup whole rye flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon and 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 apples
- 1/4 cup maple sugar
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
Sift together the sweetener, flours, salt, baking powder, cloves and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Blend in 1/2 cup butter, the eggs, the milk and the vanilla extract. Chop the apples roughly and mix them in the batter by hand. Pour the batter into a greased cake pan.
Sprinkle the maple sugar, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, the oats and the hazelnuts over the top. Dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 1/2 hours. Let cool on a wire rack. After 30 minutes you can remove it from the cake pan if desired.