I cooked too many kidney beans one day and needed to use the leftovers, so I made a variation of rice and beans with vegetables without the rice.
- 400 grams cooked and rinsed kidney beans
- 1 medium onion
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 250 grams corn kernels
- 1/2 green chili (optional)
- 1/2 pimenton or other sweet red pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 spring onion (scallion) – green part only
- a few sprigs of coriander leaf (cilantro)
- salt to taste
Dice the onion finely. Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium-low and add the onion when it is warm. Cook the onion slowly until soft and beginning to brown, stirring frequently.
While the onion is cooking, chop the sweet pepper and the chili and set them aside. Chop the spring onion and mince the coriander leaf.
Add the sweet pepper and chili pepper to the onion. Cook until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the corn, kidney beans and taco seasoning. Adjust to taste with taco mix and salt. Cook just until the beans and corn are warmed through.
Serve garnished with the chopped coriander and spring onion.