To make this I pan-fried chestnut mushrooms and black fungus over low heat, then added oat cream and a liberal amount of fresh ground black pepper, plus salt to taste. After the pasta was cooked I added it to the sauce and cooked it a little more. It is topped with a bit of dried parsley.
Monthly Archives: January 2018
I used this recipe, with some modifications. First, I fried the garlic instead of roasting it, in the same oil I later used for the tofu. Second, I used bok choy as the greens. Third, I used whole chillis which I later removed. Finally, I was unable to find mushroom broth, so I made my own. I took some black fungus and chestnut mushrooms and simmered them with black pepper, garlic, savory and a little tarragon. After some time I strained the broth and then continued with the recipe.
I made a broth with chicken stock, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. I boiled a carrot, chard/mangold stems and black fungus in it, then removed the garlic and ginger chunks. At this point I added the chard leaves, a small sweet pepper, and the noodles. I finished it with the juice reserved from the kimchi I used to make dumplings, a marinated egg, and green onion.
I’ve had a very similar fusion dish at a Japanese restaurant, but with bok choy and bean sprouts instead of chard and black fungus.
This is a very nice apple cake. When it was ready to go in the oven, it looked all wrong, with the apple pieces standing upright in tight formation.
However, when it baked the cake rose around the apples. My cake didn’t need the extra time the author mentioned, nor was it too moist in the center. I used 4 large Boskoop apples.
One problem was that the tips of some of the apple slices burned.This was easily solved by cutting off the burnt tips before applying the praline topping. In the finished cake the praline topping hides the evidence of this procedure.
The final cake was moist and delicious.
Here’s the recipe for these cookies. I left out the almond extract.
This recipe already adapts the dish to make it vegan, but I had to make further adjustments. First, I was only able to find banana blossom canned. Second, I chose to get cheaper green beans rather than long beans. Third, I thought I had puffed rice – but I didn’t – so the sauce is a little thinner. And finally I had annato seeds but not powder, so I wasn’t able to get as pronounced a colour when I soaked them.