I tried this fusion adaptation of the classic Indonesian dish. I ended up making about 2/3 the dish, and making far less uncooked sprouts. I also used a yellow onion and cooked the rice using my own method. I also cooked it for less time, according to my own observations, and without cooling down both components. I thought it was a pretty nice way to have Brussels sprouts.
Category Archives: Just pictures
This recipe gave me an excuse to sprout some mung beans. As usual I did not follow the recipe faithfully, opting to use frozen grated coconut over rehydrated dry coconut. I also used a mix of purple and orange carrots to add additional color.
This was more work than the carrot mustardseed salad I’ve made in the past, and in my opinion the other salad is nicer. This one isn’t bad, but it wasn’t special enough to justify the effort.
I used this recipe, with some modifications. First, I fried the garlic instead of roasting it, in the same oil I later used for the tofu. Second, I used bok choy as the greens. Third, I used whole chillis which I later removed. Finally, I was unable to find mushroom broth, so I made my own. I took some black fungus and chestnut mushrooms and simmered them with black pepper, garlic, savory and a little tarragon. After some time I strained the broth and then continued with the recipe.
This is a very nice apple cake. When it was ready to go in the oven, it looked all wrong, with the apple pieces standing upright in tight formation.
However, when it baked the cake rose around the apples. My cake didn’t need the extra time the author mentioned, nor was it too moist in the center. I used 4 large Boskoop apples.
One problem was that the tips of some of the apple slices burned.This was easily solved by cutting off the burnt tips before applying the praline topping. In the finished cake the praline topping hides the evidence of this procedure.
The final cake was moist and delicious.